Making a complaint


Please note: All complaints are now handled by Portsmouth City Council on behalf of the CCG

Portsmouth Clinical Commissioning Group aims to commission high quality services. 

Sometimes things go wrong and when they do we want you to tell us about it. We recognise the value that complaints can provide in planning for the future and in improving services for the benefit of the local community.

We are also very pleased to receive feedback and compliments about our work or the quality of health services you have received as a local resident.

What we can do...

  • Investigate complaints about the actions and services of the CCG itself
  • Investigate complaints about the CCGs staff
  • Investigate complaints about a CCG purchasing decision when this has personally affected an individual
  • Investigate complaints about any health services commissioned by the CCG, if the complaint is received directly by the CCG as the commissioned body.

What we cannot do...

  • Resolve complaints which have been investigated by another responsible NHS body
  • Resolve complaints which are being or have been investigated by the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO).

How to make a complaint or raise a concern, comment or compliment

If you have an issue about health services in your local area please contact the Complaints and Concerns Team:


Phone: 023 9283 4456

Complaints Manager 
NHS Portsmouth CCG
5th Floor, Civic Offices
Guildhall Square

When you make a complaint you need to provide your postal address, email address (if you have one and wish to use it) and contact telephone number along with as much detail as possible about the complaint. This will help us handle your complaint as quickly as possible. We will ring you to discuss how you would like your complaint handled and what outcome you are seeking.

When we investigate your complaint we may need to share your personal information with other organisations. We will only share information that is relevant to the investigation and it will only be disclosed to those people who have a clear need to know for the purposes of investigating your concern. It will help us to handle your complaint as quickly as possible if you give us your consent to share your information if required when you make your complaint.

The Fluency Duty

Complaints related to the HM Government Code of practice on the English language requirement for public sector workers (the fluency duty) will be considered under the CCG’s Complaints, Concerns, Comments and Compliments Policy.

The fluency duty defines a legitimate complaint as “one about the standard of spoken English of a member of staff in a customer-facing role. It will be made by a member of the public or someone acting on his or her behalf complaining that the authority has not met the fluency duty”. However, the duty also states that “a complaint about a member of staff’s accent, dialect, manner or tone of communication, origin or nationality would not be considered a legitimate complaint about the fluency duty.” Public authorities are not obliged by the fluency duty to respond to complaints that are vexatious, oppressive, threatening, abusive, without foundation and/or which are intended to result in harsh or wrongful treatment of the person who is the subject of the complaint. In these types of circumstances a complaint will not be taken forward by the CCG.

Your feedback matters...

We listen to what you have to say and we make changes accordingly, click here to see the changes that we are making.

Complaints and concerns the CCG does not handle

Complaints about a GP, dentist, pharmacy, optician, or GP services (but not Out of Hours) cannot be handled by the CCG and need to be directed to the NHS Commissioning Board:


Phone: 0300 311 2233

NHS Commissioning Board
PO Box 16738
B97 9PT

Where can I get support?

If you would like independent advice or support through the complaints process, Healthwatch Portsmouth may be able to help you. This is a free, independent and confidential service that offers help and information in making a complaint about the NHS.

Phone: 023 9397 7079

Healthwatch Portsmouth
3 St George's Business Centre
St George's Square



What if I am not satisfied with the response?

If you are not satisfied with our response you should write to us stating the reasons why you are dissatisfied. We will arrange to review and provide a further response to your complaint, unless agreed otherwise.

You have the right to ask the PHSO to review your complaint, at the end of the local resolution stage of the NHS complaints process, if you are not satisfied with the way your complaint has been dealt with by the NHS.  

You can contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman at: 

Phone: 0345 015 4033

Text Phone (mini com): 0300 061 4298

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower



বাংলা|廣東話 [广东话]|ગુજરાતી|Polski|العربية

Powered by Sitekit