This policy sets out how NHS Portsmouth CCG (herein after referred to as ‘CCG’) will approach the management of its records. This policy is part of a Records Management Framework that includes additional procedure, guidance, training, audit and strategy. Our records framework fits into the wider context of Information Governance.
All NHS records (including email and electronic documents) are public records under the terms of the Public Records Act 1958 sections 3(1)-(2), and must be kept in accordance with the following statutory and NHS guidelines:
- The Public Records Act 1958 and 1967
- The General Data Protection Regulations 2018
- The Data Protection Act 2018
- The Freedom of Information Act 2000
- Records Management Code of Practice for Health and Social Care 2016
- The Common Law Duty of Confidentiality
- Confidentiality: NHS Code of Practice
- NHS Information Governance: Guidance on Legal and Professional Obligations
Guidance on the management of NHS records is provided by the Department of Health The Records Management: NHS code of Practice 2016 which sets out a schedule of minimum retention periods for many types of record and is based on legal requirements and professional best practice.